Alcoholism can hurt you in more ways than you can imagine. Thankfully, there is help available and rehab Toronto alcohol can make it a lot easier to break your addiction. However, going through the recovery phase can drain your energies and make you live with a low self-esteem, but you should not worry a lot about it because that is how alcohol abuse damage your body and mind. You will heal, eventually, and you can take certain steps to regain your self-esteem. For instance:
- Do not push yourself to make things happen. Understand that not everything needs to happen immediately after recovery. Give yourself some time to recover. Avoid expecting too much from yourself, too soon. Understand that you are still quite raw after coming out of rehab Toronto alcohol, and it will take some time getting used to your new life of sobriety after treatment.
- Be ready to feel low for some time. What it means is that you have to tell yourself and in fact make yourself understand that it is perfectly normal to feel low self-esteem for some time after your treatment. Instead of focusing so much on your self-esteem, it is better to concentrate more on the fact that you have just recovered from your addiction, which in itself is a great achievement and usually enough to help you become stronger in sobriety.
- Know that self-esteem will not come from others. Of course, you should use whatever help and advice you can get from others, but make yourself understand that no one can give you self-esteem and it is something that will come from within. Still, it is a good idea to be surrounded by positive people who do not mind appreciating you for all the effort you have put in to live a sober life.
- Learn to pace yourself soon after recovery. This is very important especially in early recovery. Taking things in small steps will help keep you motivated. Understand that you have to stay away from all-or-nothing thinking – it is okay if you do not complete everything you may have on your to-do list. What it means is that you should measuring yourself consistently, and it is only going to hurt you and make you lose your self-esteem when you measure yourself against unrealistic odds.
- Do not react too quickly and take your time to see how things unfold. It is important to understand that things will not become normal immediately after recovery. There will be days when you will have extremely low self-esteem, but you should hold your nerves and wait for things to get better. Know that after those days when you feel depressed, stagnant, unfulfilled, low, and uncertain, there will be days when you will have more control over things around you. Just be patient and keep enjoying your achievements to build your self-esteem over time.
The fact of the matter is that it is not always bad to have low self-esteem after rehab Toronto alcohol, but it is bad to let negative thinking take control of you and keep you from enjoying your achievements. So, give yourself some time and do not be too hard on yourself. Know that things will improve!