When we’re trying to eat healthily, sometimes it can be hard to know which foods are best for us.
What you may not know, is some foods can decrease inflammation and swelling in the joints.
According to the experts at House Call Doctor, these anti-inflammatory foods can help ease joint pain and the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis (RA).
RA is an autoimmune and long-term chronic disease that can cause stiffness, pain and swelling in the joints as well as loss of joint function.
Top 5 foods that decrease inflammation:
These are some foods you can easily incorporate into your diet and lifestyle. They include:
- Good oils: Oils like olive, avocado and grapeseed are rich in omega-9 fatty acids and oleic acids. These acids help reduce inflammation. As an added bonus, these oils can be beneficial for your heart and brain.
- Nuts: If you’re looking for an in-between-meal snack, look no further than nuts! Nuts such as hazelnuts, walnuts and almonds are loaded with omega-3 fatty acids – sunflower seeds are as well.
- Fish: Fish is a great alternative to red meats, which are high in salt and cholesterol and can actually cause inflammation. Tuna, snapper, bass, salmon, halibut and cod are tasty replacements for protein and have loads of omega-3 fatty acids.
- Fruits: A great way to include antioxidants into your body is by eating fruits. Strawberries, pineapples, blueberries, apples, cherries and raspberries are delicious fruits which can help defend your body from cellular damage.
- Herbs: There are many herbs you can add to your meals. Fresh herbs such as oregano, basil and thyme have been used for centuries for good health. Curcumin and chili peppers can also help with inflammation and joint pain.
- Vegetables: Vegetables like kale, broccoli, celery and bok choy operate as anti-inflammatory flavonoids and are rich in antioxidants. These can help in improving blood pressure and cholesterol level and helps prevents heart diseases.
Foods that cause inflammation
While there are a lot of foods that are good for your health, there are some that inflame your joints which you should avoid if you suffer from RA. These include:
- Deep-fried foods
- Processed meats
- Red meat
- Soft drinks
- White bread and other refined carbohydrates
- Mono-sodium glutamate (MSG)
- Sugar and high-fructose corn syrup
- Gluten and casein
Foods that causes inflammation not only increases inflammation, putting your health at risk. You’re at a higher chance of suffering from other chronic conditions including obesity, heart disease and diabetes.
So, when you’re thinking about your next meal, keep these foods in mind. These foods will make you feel stronger and more energised, helping you improve your health in the long-term!