Actually, orthodontics is a branch of dentistry that corrects the position of teeth and jaws that are in the wrong place. Improperly positioned and unusually shaped teeth can cause a variety of health problems. It also becomes harder to keep your teeth clean. Orthodontics North York is one of the dental specialties that is used to strengthen teeth and align jaws. One of the important tasks of orthodontics is the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of dental malformations. A patient with crooked teeth is at risk for tooth decay and periodontal disease. This condition puts more pressure on the teeth that are responsible for chewing food and consequently causes various complications in the long run, including:
– Tooth decay
– Gingival problems
– Not chewing foods well and digestive problems
– TMJ problems
– Feeling of pain in the neck, shoulders, and back
Also, crooked teeth affect the patient’s facial beauty
The advantages of orthodontic treatment are:
– Healthy mouth
– Pleasant appearance
– Teeth that probably have a longer lifespan
A therapist in this field is known as an orthodontist.
How do you know if you need orthodontics?
Only a dentist or orthodontist can determine if you are a good candidate for orthodontics or not.It happens by clinical examination, plaster models of your teeth, and specialized imaging. It is the orthodontist who can suggest the right treatment plan to solve the dental problem. If you have any of the following conditions, you may be a candidate for orthodontics.
– Overbite, when the upper teeth have a lot of vertical overlap on the lower row teeth.
– An underbite is known as the “bulldog,” in which the lower row teeth are far ahead of the upper teeth, and the top row is too far back.
– Crossbite When upper teeth do not fit properly on the lower teeth while biting
– Open bite, or openness between two jaws in the front, back, or sides
– Misplaced midline – When the midline of the upper teeth does not align with the lower teeth’ midline.
– Spacing (spaces between teeth that may be caused by the tooth loss or even the incomplete growth of a tooth)
– Crowding, when a large number of teeth (more than normal) are in a row of teeth. This condition can cause teeth to be crooked.
What is orthodontics?
There are several types of orthodontic appliances, such as movable or fixed. The movable and fixed orthodontics help to change the position of the teeth and jaw. The orthodontic appliance gently puts pressure on the teeth and jaw, creating the desired change over time. The severity of the deformity of the teeth, the age, and the physiological characteristics of the patient determine which type of orthodontics is the best. It is the orthodontist who determines and performs the orthodontic treatment method by examining the patient’s condition.
Fixed orthodontics can be done in Straight, Edgewise, Roth, or Damon methods. Besides, new techniques such as Mini Screw can be used to treat abnormalities.